Originally called frankfurters, their origin can be traced back to 1852 in Frankfurt, Germany. From the start, frankfurters were basically small sausages.
Today, some are made entirely of one type of meat, such as beef, pork, chicken, or turkey. There are even vegetarian hot dogs that contain no meat at all. Many hot dogs, however, are more like traditional sausages, because they are made from a secret recipe containing a mixture of a variety of ingredients.
NEW YORK STYLE
Although there are as many special recipes out there, most of them consist of a similar set of ingredients. These include meat, meat fat, filler (such as flour or bread crumbs), egg whites, and spices. Some popular spices include salt, pepper, onion, and garlic.
Okay, nobody said that this was going to be a food healthy post. If you exercise during the week, burn a ton of calories, and you have your cholesterol and triglycerides within perfect normal limits, once a week you can treat yourself with something like this. I know I do. Otherwise, I would get bored of eating healthy food 365 days a year. But that is me. I have a friend that no way Jose would eat this food, ever, ever never, hahaha. I will eat my waffles and she will be eating carrots and celery. She doesn’t exercise though, not at all. She is vegan and lacking some vitamins and minerals in her last full check-up.
(with pineapple, cucumber and charbroiled chicken)
1/3 cup (80ml) pineapple juice 1 tablespoon brown sugar 1 tablespoon soy sauce 500g Chicken Thigh Fillets, chopped 1 small pineapple, peeled, thinly sliced crossways 200g pkt 4 Leaf Salad 250g cherry tomatoes, halved 1 carrot, peeled, cut into long matchsticks 1 small red onion, thinly sliced 1 Cucumber, halved lengthways, thinly sliced
1. Combine the pineapple juice, sugar and soy sauce in a large bowl. Add the chicken and toss to coat. Set aside for 10 mins to develop the flavours. Thread the chicken pieces onto 4 metal skewers. Reserve the marinade.
2. Heat a barbecue grill or char grill on medium-high. Cook the chicken skewers for 3-4 mins each side or until golden brown and cooked through. Transfer to a plate and cover with foil. Set aside for 5 mins to rest.
3. Meanwhile, cook pineapple on grill for 2 mins each side or until lightly charred.
4. While the pineapple is cooking, place the reserved marinade in a small saucepan. Bring to the boil over high heat. Cook for 3 mins or until mixture thickens slightly. Set aside to cool.
5. Arrange salad leaves, tomato, carrot, onion, cucumber, pineapple and chicken skewers on a large serving plate. Pour over marinade in the pan. Season.
A base of homemade ranch dressing is flavored with fresh jalapeños, cilantro, and tomatillo salsa in this Creamy Jalapeño Dip,
•2 fresh jalapeños, •1/3 cup packed fresh cilantro leaves •1/2 cup good-quality mayonnaise •1/2 cup sour cream •1/2 cup buttermilk •1/3 cup tomatillo salsa •1/2 teaspoon garlic powder •1/4 teaspoon onion powder •1/4 teaspoon salt, plus more to taste •Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
Once you gather your ingredients, simply give everything a good puree in the old blender or food processor, and voilà, silky, flavorful Creamy Jalapeño Dip/Dressing!
You can add this delicious dressing on top of enchiladas
…or dip these delectable French fries in it!
…And on top or in some scrumptious mini shrimp tacos!