- The only part of the body that has no blood supply is the cornea of the eye. It receives oxygen directly from the air.
- The human brain has a memory capacity equivalent to more than four terabytes on a hard drive.
- A newborn child can breathe and swallow at the same time for up to seven months.
- Your skull is made up of 29 different bones.
- Nerve impulses sent from the brain move at a speed of 274 km/h.
- A single human brain generates more electrical impulses in a day than all the telephones of the world combined.
- The average human body contains enough sulfur to kill all the fleas on the average dog, enough carbon to make 900 pencils, enough potassium to fire a toy cannon, enough fat to make seven bars of soap, and enough water to fill a 50-liter barrel.
- The human heart pumps 182 million liters of blood during the average lifetime.
- 50,000 cells in your body died and were replaced by new ones while you were reading this sentence.
- The human embryo acquires fingerprints within three months of conception.
Facts, Interesting and Funny!
1. Rhinoceros horns and human fingernails have the same chemical composition. Those who unethically ingest powdered rhino horn for its perceived health benefits would do just as well to eat their own fingernails.
2. One noodle of spaghetti is technically called a “spaghetto.”And a singular cannoli is a cannolo.
3. Ready to enter the fruit matrix? Watermelon, eggplant, and chili peppers are all berries. Fruits that are not berries include STRAWBERRIES, BLACKBERRIES, AND RASPBERRIES. Well, now I’m furious! 😂 Science Facts!
4. Oh, and if that wasn’t enough… peanuts aren’t nuts.
5. The planet’s lightning storms convert its methane gas into carbon, which hardens into one of the most valuable substances on Earth as it falls. I WANT MY DIAMONDS!
RELIGION AND SCIENCE ARE INCOMPATIBLE
They’re incompatible, because they both compete to find truths about the universe and life itself. There are some fundamental truths that believers have to accept in order to be religious. Scientists do not have to accept anything in order to be researchers, just observe, follow the scientific method and prove the fact. Religion is based on believes, not facts.
Yeah, when a flower can get it from nature genetics?! Oh, I forgot: we undeveloped humans CANNOT!
Flower Lips, a very rare flower with luscious red lips, known scientifically as Psychotria Elata.
These flower grows in trees or shrubs which are very low-growing and can be found in tropical places like Costa Rica, Panama and Colombia, particularly in areas that tend to get a lot of rainfall.
INTERESTING FACT: These red lips are commonly called flowers, but they are actually leaf-like bracts.
CATURDAY FACTS – INTRO
ABRAHAM LINCOLN and his LOVE for CATS!
United States President, Abraham Lincoln, loved all animals, especially cats. He loved cats so much that his wife once said that cats were her husband’s hobby.
The then, Secretary of State William Seward, gave two kittens on Lincoln as a White House gift. The President loved to spend hours just petting the cats and talking to them.
He fed his kitties at the table. One time he used a gold fork to do that, which was too much for Mrs. Lincoln. His response?
“If a gold fork was good enough for former President Buchanan, it’s good enough for Tabby.”
AMAZING FUN CAT FACTS:
Cats have over 20 muscles that control their ears.
A group of cats is called clowder.
Cats have more data storage than an iPad.
Abraham Lincoln had four cats in the White House.
Adult cats only meow to communicate with humans.
Some cats are ambidextrous. Although 40 to 50% of female cats are typically right-pawed, while male cats are typically left-pawed: Psychologists Deborah Wells and Sarah Millsopp of Queen’s University Belfast tested 42 house cats — 21 males and 21 females — to determine whether they favored their right or left paws when performing tasks of varying difficulty. Their report on the results has been accepted for publication in the journal Animal Behavior of Science Direct (play with your kitties and let me know if this is true. I did it and couldn’t prove it, 🤩 but then again, I’m not a Psychologist).
SO SORRY dog lovers: A cat’s cerebral cortex (the part of the brain in charge of cognitive information processing) has 300 million neurons, compared with a dog’s 160 million. (BTW, (I love dogs too 🐶).
Cats are very picky creatures about their “bathroom.” If you have more than one feline, you should have one litter box for each one of them.
They are the only mammals that cannot taste sweetness (no cake for my kitty-cats on my birthday).
A cat can jump six times his length in a single bound.
Cats love routine. Any change in their routine makes them mad, upset. Some cats get sick, they can vomit or refuse to eat.
When Cats Leave Their Poop Uncovered It’s a Sign of Aggression.
Kneading is a sign of contentment and happiness. Cats knead their mothers when they are nursing to stimulate the let-down of milk.
There are currently 45 Hemingway cats living at the writer’s former home in Key West, Fla.
A cat’s nose is ridged with a unique pattern, just like a human fingerprint.
The first cat in space was a French cat named Felicette (a.k.a. “Astrocat”) In 1963, France blasted the cat into outer space. Electrodes implanted in her brains sent neurological signals back to Earth. She survived the trip.
A cat can travel at a top speed of approximately 31 mph (49 km) over a short distance.
In several countries of Europe and North America black cats are a sign of bad luck, but in Britain and Australia black cats are considered lucky!
Usually, a cat has about 12 whiskers on each side of its face. Have you counted them already? 😇
A cat’s jaw can’t move sideways, that is why a cat can’t chew large chunks of food.
[wpedon id=”2447″ align=”center”]
SUBSCRIBE TO DR MARTHA
Enter your email address:
Delivered by FeedBurner
The Catholic church and some of its followers believe in the myth that some saints and virgins have cried blood. They make statues of them with blood tears rolling down the faces made of ceramic or plaster.
Many catholics report sightings of weeping madonnas, from Ireland to Croatia, but the only one recognised by the Church is a statue of the Virgin Mary in the town of Siracusa in Sicily. It began weeping in 1953, so they say.
There is actually a symptom known as haemolacria, which is a rare condition that causes a person to produce tears that are partially composed of blood. The condition has garnered significant attention in the medical community and media recently.
Haemolacria is a symptom of multiple diseases involving the conjunctiva and lacrimal system.
These entities can range from vascular malformations and tumors to infectious or inflammatory conditions and has even been reported in the literature as a presenting finding in scleral buckle infection.
SUBSCRIBE TO DR MARTHA
Enter your email address:
Delivered by FeedBurner
All these years watching several TV cop shows, like, NYPD Blue and Law and Order, seeing them grab this fluorescent blue light lamp on a crime scene to show blood stains, well, I just found out this is not true nor accurate in real life crime investigations. It was invented for our amusement only!
It is interesting to learn this fact from a reliable source, a Criminal Justice Forensic agent retired now: Don Penven
If you watch many of the TV “Cop” shows, you will see at some point those working a crime scene using a blue light in search of invisible blood (blood stains that were cleaned up). Shazam! Blue-white stains appear all over the floors, walls and objects sitting around the crime scene! But in reality—this cannot happen. You see, blood does not fluoresce by applying UV or visible blue light.
Blood, even minute quantities that remain after clean-up, can be made to “luminesce;” that is, by spraying certain chemicals such as Luminol, BlueStar or Fluorescene on the various surfaces, blood will luminesce, or simply “glow in the dark”—and adding blue light is not necessary. So what can alternate light sources reveal? Although blood does not fluoresce, certain other physiological fluids will. UV alternate light sources can reveal the following: seminal fluid, saliva and urine stains. Also, certain narcotics will fluoresce as will bone and teeth fragments.